Tested negative for diabetes. Suggest the medication to be taken and diet plan?

This is XXXXXX
My father went through complete body checkup today, and the diabetes report is negative. Could you please go through the report and suggest the medication and the diet to follow?

Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. I was able to view the reports.

Both his fasting and post prandial blood sugar are high. Lipid profile report also shows increased level of total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, triglyceride, and cholesterol/HDL ratio suggesting he has dyslipidemia.

Please follow some basic suggestions:
1. Take all dietary precaution (like avoid all kind of sweet, potato, any kind of carbohydrate food etc.) to control diabetes
2. Intake food according to his daily calorie requirement.
3. Avoid all kind of spicy food, excess mustard oil in food, red meat, food containing excess amount of fat etc.
4. Regular brisk walking, free hand exercise and yoga.

In addition to this you also may need to take oral antidiabetic drugs and hypolipidemic drugs of statin group. Consult your physican who can start you on these drugs. He/she may also plan to perform other basic investigation like blood for urea, creatinine, ECG, BP monitoring to exclude any side effects of diabetes and dyslipidemia. If possible also consult with a nutritionist for a proper diet chart according to his calorie need.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sourav Ganguly