Tested negative for HIV except positive HSV Ig. Have mouth ulcer. Western blot test required?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi, I got a test for HSV, RPR & HIV I & II test done. My results for HSV Ig G showed 1.17 and the rest all showed negative. I understand HSV Ig G shows that I am +ve. I have not had any sign of infection atleast not that i recollect. I have had occasional mouth ulcers however not on the lip line and nothing the genital area. Should I get a Western blot test conducted?
Posted Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
thanks for writing in.
With regards to HIV testing you need not worry at all since all your reports are negative.
Positive HSV Ig suggest that you have developed antibodies to herpes . Perhaps the infection may have been subclinical and hence you did not notice it. I would suggest that you take a full course of acyclovir since you have history of oral ulceration but under the supervision of your doc.
If the reports are causing much anxiety then only should you go in for western blot testing of HIV to allay your anxiety.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards