Tested high for random blood sugar level. Should I be worried about the finding?

Jan 2013

My random blood sugar level is 319. But before test i took sweet and also for last 4 days , i took around 1 Kg of sweets continuously.SO please confirm whether this reading is correct i became diabetic now/? what should i do now?
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 22 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described information, there could be chances of diabetes.
Do you have positive family history of diabetes?

Whatever we eat whether it is excessive sweat or simple food; our body has ability to normalize blood sugar.
Beta cells present in endocrinal part of pancreas secrete insulin on exposure to carbohydrate, protein and fats.

So if you are taking sweets since four days there may be chances of high blood sugar due to consumption; yet for confirmation you should go for fasting and postprandial (exact after 2 hours) blood sugar.
Diabetes is diagnosed when fasting blood sugar is > 126 mg% and postprandial sugar is > 200 Mg%.

You should also go for glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) as it will give information regarding blood sugar status of last 3 months.
There may be chances of Type I diabetes and it can only be confirmed after blood sugar status.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Tested high for random blood sugar level. Should I be worried about the finding? 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply doctor.

I didnt had any symptoms like thirsty , frequent urination etc.

My father is a diabetic.

If it is Type 1 Diabetics , can it be controlled with Exercise and diet or medication also required? Right now should i go for any medication or can i control sweet for next one week , do exercise and go for test and then decide on medication?

Please advise doctor.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 28 minutes later
Let me know the type of therapy used by your father; whether oral tablets or insulin.
Type I diabetes is generally diagnosed before 30 years with negative family history.
Type II diabetes have positive family history (as you have) and generally diagnosed during accidental checking of blood sugar or during any complications.
Type I diabetes have symptoms as you have defined while Type II diabetes is asymptomatic.
Type I diabetes is due to total loss of beta cells in pancreas and external supplementation of insulin is required and without insulin, blood sugar can't be controlled.
You should first go for blood sugar fasting and postprandial for diagnosis of diabetes.
Diet control is only supportive and treatment is mandatory for prevention of complications of diabetes.
If diabetes has been diagnosed then only treatment and diet control is required.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava