Tested high blood sugar level after delivery. Is it curable?

Aug 2012

My wife recently (5 months) before delivered a boy baby with 4 kg weight. During preganancy she was not having diabetes but when we check the sugar level. it is showing 360... looks very high... we are little bit worried because she is just 25. can u pls answer the below questions
1. Since it came immediately after pregancy.. is it curable
2. Can we try for next baby (i mean after two years)
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 28 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The sugars which occur during pregnancy are curable after delivery and then the patient can avoid overt diabetes for many years with meticulously followed diet, exercise and general weight management program.
But you say your wife did not have diabetes during her pregnancy and at the same time she delivered baby weighing 4 kg. This makes me ask you questions:

A. Generally the OBGY doctor checks sugar of a pregnant lady as soon as she comes to know about pregnancy and if found to be normal then certainly again between 24th to 28th week of pregnancy. Was the same procedure followed by your wife's OBGY doctor?
B. When you say sugars during pregnancy were normal, could you tell precise values of the all sugar tests done during pregnancy? And if one test known as HbA1c also was done, please write the value of that also.
C. Did your wife put on a lot of weight during her last three months of pregnancy?
D. Does your wife have family history of diabetes- mother/ father/ brother/ sister having diabetes?
E. Did your wife suffer from something known as Polycystic Ovary syndrome which manifests as irregular menstrual periods before pregnancy, obesity, acne on face, increased hair growth on face and also darkly pigmented, velvety, thicken skin on her neck?
F. Or is she a thin lady and lost weight after her delivery?
G. Does she also has something called hypothyroidism?
H. What were the precise symptoms why your doctor asked her to check her sugars at this stage?Did the doctor also check HbA1c now? If yes, please tell the value of it also.

Your answers on the above questions will help me tell you precisely how her sugars can be labelled (which type of diabetes), treated and whether cured or not. So please get back to me with the answers.

2. Answer to your second question is 100% 'YES'. Depending on what kind of diabetes your wife has, whether reversible or permanent one which we can keep under full control, we will treat her. Then after a few years when you and she plans to have next baby, we shall target very strict sugar control as her pre-pregnancy preparations and of course throughout the pregnancy. This makes it possible to have absolute normal pregnancy outcomes.

I hope you got a primary idea on your query. Please get back to me with your answers and shall explain further course in details. Take care.