Tested for widal after the treatment of typhoid. Is this normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
After almost 5 & Half months of typhoid my Serum Widal Report is S.Typr "O" 1:60 & S.Typhi "H" is 1:120 . Is it normal
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, levels of antibodies to salmonella typhi O and H antigens are detected by this widal test.

As you have had the typhoid infection 5 and half months ago, then titre of O antibodies more than 1:120 should be considered as significant. And titre of H more than 1:160 should be considered as significant.

According to this, your report shows lower titre value of O and H. So, there is no relapse or activation of the chronic disease.

So, it is negative for active disease condition.

Do not worry. But you should consult with your treating doctor for clinical correlation.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Tested for widal after the treatment of typhoid. Is this normal? 20 minutes later
When Ever in get some sick doctor gives me Tab Cefio 200 Course 2 Tablets per day for 5 Days & he told me not worry anything about the report & I have the problem of eating infection & Report of typhoid wii come positive upto 6 Months. He had also vaccinated me before 3 Months 1 Time in last 5 Months. As a prevention i am avoiding cold Drinks , Icecream , Cold Water & Anything spicy. Also i am drinking lots of water per day

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 40 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, i think you do not need antibiotics everytime you are sick.

You need to take multivitamin and micronutrients containing drug to boost up your immunity. You can take some fresh fruits also.

Beside this, you should take pantoprazole group of drug. An enzyme solution should also be taken.

Do a liver function test to exclude any other possibilities.

Regards.

Follow-up: Tested for widal after the treatment of typhoid. Is this normal? 7 minutes later
My liver Function Report is Serum Billirubin Total 0.70 MG + Direct 0.5 Mg + Indirect 0.2 Mg & SGPT is 41 IU/L & S.Alkaline Phosphatase is 162 & Haemoglobim 13.9 & WBc 7700 & Platelets Count 0000. To increase immunity doctor has given me Cap Mashyne 1000 from last 3 Months in morning after breakfast & Cap SuperActive in evening daily from last 3 Months.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 10 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

Your reports are not indicative of any particular disease.

You should continue to take the medicines you are taking. Consult with your treating doctor about my suggestions.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.