Tested for thyroid. TSH is 1.27. What does this indicate?

I was tested for my thyroid. my tsh is

1.27 and freet4 is 2.48. what does this mean?
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
TSH within range and the f T4 high

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The lab ranges for blood tests can vary slightly from lab to lab but in general the accepted range for TSH is 0.4 to 4.2 mIU/l and free t 4 .8 to 1.8.

Based on these ranges your TSH is in a normal range and the free T4 is above the upper limit.

Normally a high T4 is accompanied by a low TSH because the thyroid hormone (t4) sends a message to the brain to stop it from releasing TSH.
Though your TSH is in the normal range , it is possible that it is not normal for you.

What this means is, if your TSH normally runs in the higher part of the expected normal range, the T4 could have suppressed it to its present value.
Some persons for example would have a TSH normally of 4 , when suppressed by T4 it may remain in the normal range but it would be low for that person.

If possible you may want to look at previous thyroid function tests to compare the values.

If you are taking thyroid suppressive medication the dose may need to be adjusted upwards slightly.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Tested for thyroid. TSH is 1.27. What does this indicate? 17 minutes later
This is my first test I have taken and I have never taken any drugs for thyroid disease nor have I been diagnose with thyroid disease. My question by looking at the results us it safe to say that is is hypothyroid or hyperthyroid disease?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

The diagnosis of hyperthyroid or hypothyroid is based on the level of the thyroid hormones ( t4 or t3).
If this is increased then the diagnosis would be hyperthyroidism.

Since T4 is mildly elevated , it would be hyperthyroidism.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions