Tested for sugar in fasting and post prandial. Am I diabetic?

Question
Sir
I am 45 yrs old and i tested for sugar and it showed me 151 in fasting and 148 in post prandial .Will you consider me a diabetic
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 31 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in. To be called as diabetic there are 3 criteria:
FBS>126, PBS > 200 or HbA1c>6.5%. A single isolated high FBSor PPBS has to be reconfirmed on a second day. If a repeat test confirms the result or HbA1c is morethan 6.5% you will be called as diabetic. Not at this stage based on a single isolated high FBS.
Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Tested for sugar in fasting and post prandial. Am I diabetic? 34 minutes later
Sir

Did you see my report.I am not getting my periods regularly and also gaining weightAnd my HbA1c is 7.2 .Is it enough if i regulate my diet and do the exercise regularly or i should be under medication

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 9 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,
I hadnt seen the HbA1c report. So you will be called as a diabetic but BG values are not very high. They can very well be controlled on diet modification and exercise. So try diet and exercise for 3 months and then repeat FBS,PPBS & HbA1c. They will definitely controlled by then. Also try to reduce your weight.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad