Tested for direct ldl cholesterol. What does the value signify?

ENT Specialist
hi i have tested my LDL DIRECT LDL CHOLESTEROL: and it is detected 152. i wish to know is it good or bad
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 3 hours later

Thanks for the query,

Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) is the dominant cholesterol carrier in the blood. If you have too much LDL in your bloodstream, it begins to get stuck on your artery walls, narrowing the vessels and eventually leading to atherosclerosis.

Range of values--

Direct LDL is a measurement obtained by a blood draw when you are not fasting. A level of 100 to 128 milligrams/deciliter is the ideal level. A level of 130 to 159 is borderline high, and anything 160 or over would be considered high.

In your case, it is 152, so it is borderline high. And it should be reduced within normal limits. in your case, it is not an emergency, yet you should take measures like--

1-Eat a diet XXXXXXX in vegetables and fruits. Cut out the oil and fat from your diet and reduce the amount of junk food and fried food that you are taking

2-Exercising makes your body much more efficient, decreases the amount of fat in your body, lowers blood pressure, lowers LDL levels, and makes your heart a stronger muscle.

3- I will not advise you to take any medication for this, as it is not so high.

Very soon, you will be absolutely all right.

Hope this helps.
I'll be available for follow ups.