Ask a Urologist   »  

Tested for UTI after complaint of painful urination. Took antibiotic. Still have the pain. Urine color is dark yellow

Was tested for UTI after complaint of painful urination. Came back negative but given antibiotics anyway.. still have pain in abdomen like a heavy rock and urine is dark yellow I drink lots of water but it still really hurts to pee and I feel like I have to go often no blood on urine though.. what is it? Can it be fixed? I can't take much more.. please help
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 26 minutes later
Dear friend,

Welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!

I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

To help answer your query more specifically, could you answer a few questions here?

What tests were done for UTI? Was urine routine and culture done and was negative?
Was a p/v (per vaginal) examination done? Do you also have any menstrual problems? Is there any discharge p/v?
Was an ultrasound of the KUB (kidney, ureter, bladder) done?
Can you characterize the pain- site, intensity, nature, intermittent or constant, dull aching or colicky, any backache, aggravating / relieving factors?
Did you have fever, how long?
Any nausea, vomiting, flank pain?
Did you have any surgeries in the abdomen?
What medicines were given?

Dear, sometimes UTI may be culture-negative. That is, the bugs do not grow in the lab but are there in the urinary tract. That’s why antibiotics are still given if clinical impression was UTI.

Sometimes, genital tract problems like inflammations/ prolapse can also make urination painful.

Culture negative UTI, urethritis etc. are possibilities

Yellow urine may be a concentrated one. Keep drinking lots of water.

If the complaint is unsettling, you may need a detailed gynaecological examination.
Please revert with the requested information and any reports, so that I can specifically advise you on the course of actions to fix the problem.

Take simple pain killers like paracetamol till then. Urinary alkanisers like Pyridium may help the pain.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this answer.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!
Follow-up: Tested for UTI after complaint of painful urination. Took antibiotic. Still have the pain. Urine color is dark yellow 27 minutes later
Yes it was a routine urine culture...I had a hysterectomy several years ago and 2 bladder hammock surgeries one done this past year. The pain just started about 3 weeks fever.. no vomiting. No aching just a heavy feeling in my bladder and burning when I pee. Know discharge of any kind vaginal or otherwise. Pyridium has never helped me. I have had bladder infections my whole life and the antibiotics have always helped before.I can't remember the antibiotics name I receive started with a C that's all I remember.. my left kidney was tender when tapped.. but again it didn't get better with meds.

I also started taking propranolol about that time could that be the problem?
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 10 hours later
Thanks for the reply.
You had repeated UTIs and past uterine and bladder surgeries for prolapse.

Current episode needs detailed evaluation, as resistant organisms and delayed recovery are possible.
There is a possibility of a repeat bladder problem, cystitis, urethritis.
You may need a sonography to look for bladder thickness, any obstruction, structural abnormalities (as left kidney was tender). We need to assess for any hydroureter, hydronephrosis (enlargement of urinary tracts).

I would advise consulting your gynecologist again for a detailed evaluation.
May need a urology consultation and endoscopy if problems are found.

Propranolol does not cause such a problem.

A repeat urine culture is sometimes asked for.

Antibiotics should be given assuming resistant bugs.
If pyridium does not help, alkalinizing urine keeps the bugs difficult to survive.

I hope to have answered your query. I would be glad to answer any further questions.
Take care and keep me posted on developments.