Tested for STI. All negative except HSV1. Had no genital outbreak. Safe to perform oral sex?

I was recently tested for all STI's just to make sure I was clean of everything. My results came back with everything negative except HSV1. To my knowledge I can never remember having a cold sore in my mouth, and i also know that i have never had a genital outbreak. Is it safe for me to perform oral sex on my boyfriend even though i know i have HSV1?
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

HSV1 is only infectious and can be transmitted only during an acute flare when vesicles are present. If this is noticed, please abstain fro doing such.

It may be strange but remember that you could have had in in the early years of life and have no records or memory for that. Also, what component of the test was positive? IgM or IgG? They mean different things. IgG represent a past infection and poses no immediate threat while IgM represents and acute infection and a threat if lesions are available.

If you get so scare at giving him oral sex, then you may be afraid too to kiss him. Fortunately, not the case if active infections are absent.

I hope this addresses you query fully and guides you. please, consistent and correct use of condoms greatly prevents against STDs and unwanted pregnancy. Always consider doing so.

Thank you for using our services. feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. Thank you.
Dr. Ditah, MD