Tested for Low-T and showed 121. Suggested MRI. What should I do?

Dec 2012

I was tested for Low-T today and my number was 121. The doctor told me that if they ever get a result that is lower than 150, then they do the test again and if it is still that low, then they do an MRI. I go back tomorrow for the second test. What do I need to know about having that low of a number?
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am Dr. Bernard and I am pleased to be able to assist you.

Low-T or low testosterone/androgene or hypogonadism is a condition in which the body's sex glands produce little or no hormones. In men, these glands (gonads) are the testes. Testosterone is a hormone secreted by the gonads and functions in developing male characteristics including sexual organs and their functions. Low levels can result to erectile dysfunction (ED) or sexual problems. With aging, men can have low-T hence ED.
But as your doctor suggested, it will be proper to repeat the test when values are below 150 before concluding whether or not the condition is permanent.
Lucky enough, many forms of hypogonadism are treatable and have a good outlook. Hormone-based medicines may be prescribed. Testosterone can be given as a skin patch, skin gel, a solution applied to the armpit, a patch applied to the upper gum, or by injection.
It is also essential that your other medical conditions (DM 2, HBP and high cholesterol) be kept under strict control as they alone can lead to problems with your sexual organs.

Hope I was able to help and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask or you can accept my answer.

Dr. Nsah