Tested for LPT serum total Cholesterol and serum triglyceridde. What is your suggestion?

Question
Dear Doctor,i am 40 years old.in my LPT serum total Cholesterol is 206mg/dl and serum Triglyceridde is 392.4mg/dl.HDL Ratio is 5.44:1.what is your suggetion for future?
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 39 minutes later

Thanks for your question.

Your lipid profile report suggests you have dyslipidemia -cholesterol is little high, triglyceride is very high and HDL:Cholesterol ratio is altered.

Dyslipidemia is often associated with increased cardiac risk and high blood sugars. So it is prudent to check your blood sugar and heart. Fasting and post prandial blood sugar along with ECG of the heart needs to be done. Discuss with your treating doctor and get the tests done through them.

In addition, I also suggest we lower the high lipid values to avoid future complications. We could use the following measures:
1. Medications - There are so many drugs used in dyslipidaemia but in your cases I think atorvastatin will suit your needs. As you plan your visit to your treating physician, you may get this medication prescribed too.
2. Avoid all kind of fatty, spicy and junk food. It's time that you make dietary changes as to restrict your calorie intake.
3. Also do everyday some exercise like brisk walking, free hand exercise, pranayama, etc.

Consult your physician; get the test done and the medications prescribed. You should be able to have a good future with these measures.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health

Dr Sourav Ganguly

Follow-up: Tested for LPT serum total Cholesterol and serum triglyceridde. What is your suggestion? 35 minutes later
Already sugar test done and results as follows
blood glucose(fasting) 85mg/dl
blood glucose(post-prandial) 117mg/dl
urea 26mg/dl
creatinine 0.8mg/dl

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

It's good to know that sugar test were done and is normal.

However I would still like to have an ECG as suggested early. Getting this done along with fasting blood sugars annually will give added advantage.

For the current problem you may contact your physician for lipid lowering drug. Diet and lifestyle changes need to be applied at the earliest.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help you.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.

Wish you good health.

Thanks and Regards
Dr Sourav Ganguly