Test shows rubella antibody, cytomegalovirus IgM, herpes simplex virus. What does it mean?

Hi, just got results of my wife's test...
Rubella Antibody IgG(CMIA) : 37.20IU/ml,

Torch pannel ,IgM(CMIA):
Toxoplasma Igm: 0.11
Rubella, IgM : 0.51
Cytomegalovirus IgM: 0.30
Herpes simplex virus 1+2, IgM: 0.26 What does it mean doc?

Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

I have seen the report attached with the query. It does not contain the report of TORCH test. Sending across the scanned copy of the report will be helpful in a better assessment.

TORCH test is performed before or as soon as pregnancy is diagnosed to determine the mother's history of exposure to these diseases so that in case an infection is detected, timely treatment can be given to avoid fetal malformations.

In your wife's case, IgG antibodies for rubella is positive- indicates that she is adequately immunized against this disease.

Rest of the TORCH panel shows almost undetectable IgM antibodies for the organisms suggesting that currently she is not suffering from any of these infections. There is nothing worrisome about these results.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.