Test showed total bilirubin is 1.2. Medications include Lipitor and Lovasa. Concerned

Gastroenterologist
Question
65 year old male with indirect bilirubin level of 1.1 for about a year. Direct bilirubin is .2. All other LFT are normal. Total bilirubin is 1.2. Before noticing elevation total bilirubin was consistently .5. The increase seems to have occurred over the course of a year to year and a half. Medications include Lipitor and Lovasa. I did sustain calf strain about 6 weeks ago. Is there need for concern?
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 29 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

The bilirubin level you have mentioned is not abnormal. So there is no need to worry.
Lipitor can affect liver function. But in these case, the liver enzyme levels are raised. But you have mentioned, rest of LFT is normal. So there is no need to worry.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Test showed total bilirubin is 1.2. Medications include Lipitor and Lovasa. Concerned 5 hours later
Is this true even though there has been sharp increase in indirect bilirubin over the past 1 1/2 years? Also, I neglected to mention, in the lab result from Nov. 2012 to the result just taken 5/13 it increase by .1 to its current level of 1.1. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 13 hours later
Hi
As long long as your liver enzymes and your hemoglobin are within normal limits there is no need to worry about this.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini