Ask a Urologist   »  

Test showed microscopic wbc 62, rbc 20 and leuc 2+. Is this UTI?

Hello my daugher 9 has microscopic wbc 62, rbc 20 leuc 2+ is this UTI or other? Dr's are ruling out Lupus/JRA she has +ANA. Went to urgent care yesterday w/102 fever dipstick showed blood and wbc in urine. Her primary c are doctor just completed a ua a week ago and it was negative. She was given Septra for 10 days taken one dose hesitant to continue due to not sure if true UTI or other and may need other meds or continue until i see her specialist. Her fever is completely gone she was exposed to flu on Thanksgiving day, I think its just that. Just dont want to give her more medication than needed. Thank you
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern. However fever with microscopic wbc (pus cells) and rbc of the values provided by you should be treated as UTI unless proved otherwise. Please continue with Septra. I presume that a urine sample has been sent for culture and sensitivity report. If yes, then the specialist would continue with Septra or change it depending on the sensitivity report.

The description provided by you does not suggest anything to do with Lupus/JRA. It is good that the fever has come down.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.