Test showed low platelet count. Looking for safe medication

I have a platelet count of 115,000 and dropping monthly. Which over-the-counter pain medication is safe to take, if any? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good point and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

The most important consideration here is the cause of your low platelet count. I suspect you may have discussed this with your hematologist.

There are many different possible causes of low platelet count. Medications can certainly contribute to this.

Assuming that you have normal liver function I would recommend Tylenol for over-the-counter pain relief.

If you have any additional questions or would like to discuss again the possible causes of your low platelet count I am certainly available.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert