Ask a Urologist   »  

Test showed lekosytes are positive and nitrite negative. Does it means to have UTI?

Feb 2013

I did home ago test strip test and lekosytes are positive and nitrite negative. Does it means I have UTI?
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Urine strip test is a screening test which can be done at home for screening purpose.

If the urine strip test is positive for Leukocytes, which may mean you may have UTI).

But the urine should be examined under a microscope for white cells (Leukocytes) and other abnormalities associated with infection.

Urine strip negative for nitrites means, there is absence of nitrite producing bacteria in the urine.

So the positive Leukocyte test in the urine is suggestive of probable urine infection and it should be confirmed by giving urine sample for complete urine examination and for culture and sensitivity to know the presence of infection and to know the causative bacteria and its sensitivity to antibiotics.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.