Test showed high sugar level and started having pain in hand. Concerned

hello, my moms sugar has been high for the past 3 days today is the lowest she has had is 230 but the highest was 300. she is now complaining of her hand in pain. what should i do?
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 25 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here.
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Her sugars are really high. The pain in hand can be due to many causes.
Your description is too small.
To be able to help you out, I will need answers to these questions.
I hope you do not mind answering them.

What medication is she on for her diabetes?
Does she have any other ailment? Is she on any other medicines?
How is the pain in her hand- intermittent/ constant, dull or shooting, electric like, at rest or with movements, where exactly? Is there any discolouration, tingling /numbness, loss of sensation in the hand?

It may or may not be related to high sugars. But diabetics with poor control have lot of complications including vascular and nerve affections.

I would like get the information requested to differentiate the causes.
She anyway needs a tighter control of her sugars and needs review by her treating doctor.

I would be glad to answer any further queries.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!
Follow-up: Test showed high sugar level and started having pain in hand. Concerned 28 minutes later
the medicine she takes for her diabetes is metformin, glycerin and she injects insulin.
at the moment she is taking advil for the pain.
she complains of her whole left arm hurting. She cannot move it and at times wants to just put pressure to avoid the pain.the palm of her hand is pale yellow and when she moves her arm she feels shocks. she is in constant weeping pain.
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 14 hours later

Thanks for your information.

The description may indicate a neuropathy (nerve related) or a vascular occlusion.

If it is pale, tender, cold with loss of sensations with difficulty in moving fingers, you must seek medical attention and get evaluated.

If she has any artery occluded, it may suddenly give a painful, cold, motionless, numb limb with no pulsations.

But if there are no such features and electric shooting pain, it may be of nerve origin (compression etc.). Diabetic neuropathy also is common.

Sometimes heart attack pain presents as left arm pain, but it is unlikely to be pale and motion painful.

Anyway, she needs to see her doctor urgently to look for any serious event. Her sugar needs to be strictly controlled.