Test showed high platelets count. How to control this?

my platelet count on my cbc's have run above 350 for two years now...i do not have can i regulate my platelets and bring down this count...also what could be causing it to happen?
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Normal platelets count is between 150 to 450. Your count is on higher side, however it is within normal limits. No need to worry about that.
Rather than your previous medical history if have you any thing of the following symptoms,
1. History of clotting or bleeding disorders, ?
2. History of XXXXXXX vein thrombosis.
3. Family history of thrombocytosis or high platelet counts.

Please let me know about this history. We will discuss it in details. On prima facies it looks completely normal.

Looking forward for your response.

Follow-up: Test showed high platelets count. How to control this? 9 hours later
my platelets run actually higher ..i was wrong they run above higher than hx. of bleeding or clotting disorders thrombosisand no hx of family thrombocytosisor high platelet counts....they have dx me with thrombocytosis.....what is the reason for this??? is it my norm?they are keeping a record of my platelet it caused by inflammation somewhere in my system? shold i have a full body mri to see where the imflamation is in my system?
i have a high cardiac crp count and my regular crp runs a bit above normal my homocysteine count is high....i asked if imflamation in my system can cause a high platelet count and should i get a systemic mri to see where my imflamation is in my systemif this is causing my high platelet count....a hemotologist dx me w/ this XXXXXXX and what does it mean for my health.....i am taking nopalea cactus powder for my imflamation...will this help my platelet count???
Hi, welcome back.
Only elevated platelet count without any associated symptoms is seen in essential thrombocytosis and reactive thrombocytosis.
However in both conditions level is above 600. You are at borderline. Similar to your haematologist it is quite difficult to characterize you in particular problem at this stage. One thing is clear no need of MRI or whole body . It is not helpful in diagnosis of inflammatory focus. In any inflammation white blood cell count will increase. In your case it is less likely due to inflammation.
It is not XXXXXXX at this stage. However if there persistent increase in cell count then it will need interferon therapy. However all management and decision depends on your haematologist opinion. Just maintain regular follow up.

If you have further concern please let me know.

Follow-up: Test showed high platelets count. How to control this? 3 hours later
what would thrombocytosis w/ level above 600 platelet count indicate? platelets fluctuate all the time...higher or then lower ...last time 468.....from 559...3 months prior....what is interferon used for....would this indicate a specific disease????i was negative for the leukemia gene.
you actually have been very helpful...i took the time to review what you wrote ....and i believe you have answered all my questions....i will follow up every 3 months for now with my primary care with a blood platelet count.....thankyou so much for your in depth answer....respectfully, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 16 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
Level below 600 hundred though fluctuating doesn't indicate any particular disease. It is labelled as thrombocytosis only. It is not leukemia at all.
Interferon are drugs which decreases excessive production of platelets.

Thanks for your appreciation and I will glad to help you in future.