Test showed high level of iron. What can be done?

My 6yrs daughter high level iron(81)tomarrow GP want to see me I'm vry up set please tell me about.and what I will do
Posted Mon, 7 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hemolytic dieases

Detailed Answer:

If the value you have mentioned above (81) is serum iron value in micrograms per deciliter then the value is absolutely normal.

Let me consider it to be value of some other iron related test.

Increased iron in the body can be due to various reasons. Considering the age the commonest amongst causes could be a genetically affected metabolic disorder called Haemochromatosis. The other possible cause if associated jaundice or anaemia is present could be hemolytic disease (premature death of RBC), wherein the cause for the death of red blood cells may have to be studied.

Such iron over load if not treated soon can lead to a condition called hemosiderosis which is haemosiderin/iron deposition within cells. Which can affect the cell functioning and thus organ failure in late stages.

Do consult his Heamatologist today and get back to me with all the test reports and advice, I shall help you understand better then based on that information.

Waiting for your response,