Test showed elevated triglyceride, FBS and blood pressure. Am I at any risk?

Hi Doctor! I am 34 year old male. I got my tests done which says my FSB - 159 mg/dl, Serum Bilirubin 1.8 mg/dl SGOT - 40 SBPT - 28, Serum Cholestrol - 227, Serum Triglycerides 280, HDL chol - 45, LDL chol - 126, VLDL Choles - 56, T. Chol/HDL Chol ratio 5.1 and Total Lipids - 734. Also my Blood pressure is measuring to 142 - 100.
What is alarming and what should I follow to get it right? I shall appreciate your quick reply.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 35 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

There are several things that need attention – Pressure, Cholesterol and Sugar.
These 3 with a family history are risk factors for Heart.

You are very likely Diabetic.
FBS is high.
Do Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) and HbA1c
You need strict Life Style modifications – Diet & Exercise.
Then, see an Internist or Diabetic specialist / start treatment.

Your Triglyceride is slightly elevated...
HDL (good cholesterol) is reasonable
LDL (Bad cholesterol) is high. (Aim for 100)
Repeat in 6 weeks / if still high, you need drug – a Statin or Fibrate / You can even start now straight away – because of multiple risk factors.

Your Blood Pressure is high (Aim for 130/80)
You need drug(s) / even with normal pressure, people with diabetes are started on pressure medicines – to keep it lower – with a view to protect kidney function, in the long term
You may start on Angiotensin Receptor Blocker (ARB) like Olmesartan -/ start a small dose, step up after a week, until pressure is controlled or maximum dose is reached.
If not controlled, add a second drug – usually a Calcium Channel Blocker (CCB) like amlodipine or a Diuretic like HydroChloroThiaZide (HCTZ)

Bilirubin is borderline. Repeat after a month.
What was the cause of jaundice? – If Virus, which one? Was Ultrasonography of the liver done?

You should see a good Dietician / you will need several sittings – to master the concepts / Several aspects of diet – for sugar, pressure and cholesterol – should be discussed.
What is your height? Weight? BMI?

You start good rapport with an Internist (Specialist in Medicine).
You will need follow up.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Test showed elevated triglyceride, FBS and blood pressure. Am I at any risk? 25 minutes later
Thanks Doctor! But I do not know the virus for Jaundice. My height is 5'9" and weight is 78 kg. I was a sportsman since starting my enterprise. Please suggest doing regular exercise and early morning walks reduces or delays the chances to get caught of these diseases. In the meanwhile I ll post my results for HbA1c very soon. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 33 minutes later
Your weight is just a bit more...
Your BMI is 25.3 (25 and above is overweight)-
You should try to lose weight / weight a bit less than normal range - even up to 15 Kgs is good for you - in the long term. Aim no more than 1 to 2 Kg in a week.

Quit smoking, if you are a smoker
Do regular EXERCISE – say walking or jogging - 30 minutes a day / at least 5 days in a week. Isometric exercise (like bull worker) is bad.
Healthy FOOD is a must. Avoid saturated fats – coconut oil, palm oil, butter, ghee, full cream milk...Avoid junk foods in particular – French fries have palm oil / Pizza has cheese / Indian sweets are made in ghee...
Change to Poly-un-saturated oil – like sun flower oil.
Include Mono-un-saturated oil – Olive oil.

All these will help / they reduce the severity / delay the inevitable

All the best