Test showed elevated platelet count. Should I be worried?

my platelet count is 535K reduced from 592 K one month before. Went through angioplasty three Months before, Present total cholestral level is 94 only. Do you thing I need to go for further tests for reason of high platelet, I am taking all precautions for reducing platelet count e.g. Pomenfrates, wine one glass 3-4 days in week etc & approx 8-10 KM walk on daily basis and confident that i may touch 450K in one month or so.
Posted Sun, 13 Jan 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

The first thing we want to figure out is whether the elevated platelet count is a primary or secondary problem.

There are several disorders which can cause primary elevation of platelets. More commonly it is a secondary phenomenon where some type of issue within the body such as infection or inflammation is triggering an elevation in the platelet count.

One of the most important things that we can use in your case is a historical measurement of your platelet count. This would involve checking laboratory values from several years ago to see if there is some type of trend increasing the platelets.

Another important aspect of the investigation is to look at your platelets under the microscope. If there are some abnormalities that are present this might help the diagnosis.

Additionally there is a special blood test that can be checked to see if you have a primary elevation of the platelets. The primary elevation that is commonly associated with platelets is called essential thrombocytosis. The blood test I am referring to is JAK2 mutation. This mutation is detected in 50% of patients with this disorder.

If there was no evidence of information or infection the doctor might recommend a change in the bone marrow that might be causing your platelets to be elevated.

I want to reassure you right now that you are in no immediate danger with a platelet count you have described. It is very important though that your doctor determined the exact cause as this will help him treat the elevated platelets.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns you would like to review with me.

Dr. Robert