Test showed borderline cholesterol, mildly high triglyceride. Can these be reduced by diet plan?

Cardiologist, Interventional

My Triglycerides is 216.7, Cholestrol is 207.4, HDL is 50.1, LDL is 113.96. Is this a cause of concern? Can I reduce Triglycerides using pure diet change and if yes, what is the recommended diet to follow. My weight is 67 KG and height 5ft 7in. Thanks in advance.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 4 hours later
As per the report it clear that your cholesterol levels are borderline / OK, as Triglyceride is mildly high, HDL good, LDL ok, but mild correction is needed.

Best advice for this stage is diet control, as you asked. first of all start avoiding oil foods, non-vegetarian, vegetarian oily food like Samosa, chips, mixtures, etc.

Especially you have to take more vegetables, fruits.

Third most important is regular exercise, which improves TG level.

So, get ready to correct the TG level.
Repeat the test after 3 months....

Wish you healthy heart.

Follow-up: Test showed borderline cholesterol, mildly high triglyceride. Can these be reduced by diet plan? 24 hours later
Just a couple of more questions. Are the following items OK in moderate consumption.

1. Fish (not oil fried)
2. Red Wine

Thanks for your quick assistance.
Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 57 minutes later

Welcome again...

Fish can be consumed with moderation, as you said without oil fried. And some study says that red wine in moderation may be permitted.

But again I advice that its better to consume more vegetables and fruits and repeat your cholesterol after 3 months ...

Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Wish you a healthy heart ...