Test showed alkaline phosphate high, SGPT high and platelet count low. Any precaution to be taken?

General Surgeon
Question
Hello Doctor,
This is XXXXXXX from India, Gurgaon. Few days before I have gone across with my routine health checkups.
1. Please have a look in the attached reports and share your observations.
2. I have experienced few increased value, such as Alkaline Phosphate , SGPT and also little less values of Platelet Count.
LFT Report:
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE PHOTOMETRY 177.9 U/l
GAMMA GLUTAMYL TRANSFERASE (GGT) PHOTOMETRY 41 U/l
BILIRUBIN -DIRECT PHOTOMETRY 0.22 mg/dl
BILIRUBIN - TOTAL PHOTOMETRY 0.7 mg/dl
BILIRUBIN (INDIRECT) CALCULATED 0.48 mg/dl
PROTEIN - TOTAL PHOTOMETRY 7.7 gm/dl
ALBUMIN - SERUM PHOTOMETRY 4.7 gm/dl
SERUM ALBUMIN/GLOBULIN RATIO CALCULATED 1.57
ASPARTATE AMINOTRANSFERASE (SGOT ) PHOTOMETRY 37 U/l
ALANINE TRANSAMINASE (SGPT) PHOTOMETRY 61 U/l

Platelet Count:
PLATELET COUNT 141 X 10³ / μL 150-400
PLATELET DISTRIBUTION WIDTH 15.9 % 10.00

Please advise if anything to worry about and any precautions/medicines? -Full medical report has been attached.

Please check the reports and let me know how it is.

XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

According to your reports, you have AP(Alkaline Phosphatase) mildly elevated and platelet count is elevated. AP gets elevated due to bile ducts obstruction (most common) however it also causes GGTP and bilirubin elevation. AP can be also elevated due to liver diseases(tumors), bones lesions, leukemia and many blood disorders. Your platelets count is not significantly decreased and such level can appear due to recent infection.
I suggest you to have abdominal ultrasound to see liver and bile ducts condition and if no findings, have AP and blood work repeated in a month or so.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Test showed alkaline phosphate high, SGPT high and platelet count low. Any precaution to be taken? 47 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

How strongly do you suggest to get the further testing done in above lines e.g abdominal ultrasound (to see liver and bile ducts condition) by looking my report, specially mildly elevated AP and SGPT -That are just crossed the upper levels of there reference range -or repeat test after a month or so can be taken into consideration for further monitoring purpose.

ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE PHOTOMETRY 177.9 U/l Ref: M:53 to 128 - F:42 to 98
ALANINE TRANSAMINASE (SGPT) PHOTOMETRY 61 U/l Ref: M: 0 to 37 - F: 0 to 31

Thanks,

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

Abdominal ultrasound is needed just to make sure about the possible liver diseases, however it is not strongly necessary. You can have this test repeated in a month first and than, when still elevated, perform abdominal ultrasound.
As you have noticed, your levels are just above the range so probably it is nothing significant.

Regards.