Test showed SGPT level 171. Can it result in liver damage?

Hi,i did SGPT test and result shown were 171.
Can it result in liver damage?
what is the maximum for liver damage?

Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 19 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
The SGPT is a part of Liver function test.
It is not XXXXXXX by itself but it is an indicator that your liver is not healthy and there is damage to your liver due to some toxins like alcohol, drugs / infectious agent- hepatitis viruses, leptospira / diminished blood circulation or trauma.
The SGPT is an enzyme that is within liver cell normally and more than three times raised levels are important and must be brought to medical attention.
I would suggest you to get full Liver function test repeated, INR, and an Ultrasound abdomen and get a detailed physical examination by a XXXXXXX physician in your locality for further management.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Follow-up: Test showed SGPT level 171. Can it result in liver damage? 11 minutes later
Dear Doctor ,
I also experience abdominal pain near naval,and what if I am affected with Hepatitis virus.
Awaiting response.
Warm Regards
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
Thanks for reverting back soon.
The pain abdomen is possible in hepatitis due to a stretch of liver covering or it may be due to associated peptic disorder.
If you suffer from a virus- you need to get repeat liver tests to see progress.
There are many hepatotropic viruses like- A, B, C, D, E virus.
You need to get serological tests to find out which is affecting you and then get treated by your physician accordingly.
I hope the advise would be helpful and informative for you.