Test showed SGPT - 109 and SGOT - 59. Are these values high?

MY SGPT is 109 and SGOT 59 .Is this very high readings ,All other results are within range.
total bilirubin is 0.4, direct bilirubin 0.1 bilirubin unconjugated0.3 , alkaline phosphatase-serum plasma 89, GGTP IS 52, PROTIEN TOTAL-SERUM/PLASMA =7.8, ALBUMIN-SERUM=4.2, GLOBULIN SERUM 3.6 ,ALBUMIN :GLOBIN-SERUM RATIO 1.2
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Your liver enzymes are mildly raised and other values are normal. We need to correlate reports clinically, that is why liver function tests were ordered.

The liver enzymes may be raised due to causes like Viral Hepatitis or certain medicines.
Your Lipid profile is high. I would like to know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better.
1) Are you taking any drug for Cholesterol?
2) Is there any history of Diabetes?
3) Have you suffered viral fever recently?

Once I have all these details, I can answer you in detail.

An ultrasonography of abdomen may be carried out to know if there is any pathology in Liver.

Follow-up: Test showed SGPT - 109 and SGOT - 59. Are these values high? 3 hours later
My weight is 76Kg and my height is 5.2 . I am overwight and my BMI is 29. I have not taken any drug for cholesterol but i am taking one ayurdevic medicine called LIPIDEX for reducing body fat. I also took Amways CH balance . My random blood sugar is 136 and i have not suffered any viral fever. I have slight water retention in my ankles and it is more when i sit for long hours.My Thyroid levels are normal and my heamoglobin is 13.8. I do eat sweets and i am eating almonds and walnut to improve my HDL. I did eat a lot of fatty food two days before the test. I feel a little breathless and i thought it was because of my being overweight. I do get a bloated feeling .
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 52 minutes later

Thanks for giving detailed information.

Yes, you are overweight and the desired BMI is < 25.
The ayurvedic medicine which you are taking may be a reason for raised SGPT/SGOT, as it may contain many herbal products.

Other possibility is Fatty liver that is (Non alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease), in persons who do not take alcohol. There are many drugs and even soft drinks too which can cause this change.

You should stop taking sweets, high carbohydrates diet and increase your exercise level to walking at least 3-4 km/day which will optimize your HDL. Taking too much nuts may be adding to calories intake.

It is good you are not diabetic, but you should take care for diet and also check your blood pressure with your Physician.

In my opinion you can stop taking LIPIDEX. After consulting your Physician, an appropriate prescription therapy with statin may be given to you.

You may be having some hyper acidity and reflux problem which can be treated easily with prescription drugs.

I hope this information helps you, please inform me about progress.