Test showed HDL - 52, LDL - 145, Triglycerides - 309 and GGT - 154. Will it be safe to drink bear?

General Surgeon
I had a phsical for insurance...HDL was 52...LDL...145...Triglycerides...309....Bilinrum .7...ALT 44....AST 31...Alkinidine Phosphate 80....But the one that worries me is my GGT ...154...I am a huge footballl fan and my beer drinking goes up during the season...I know it is a guess(and I will not hold you to your opinion) but will the GGT or any others cause them not to write the insurance?
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Your GGT is only slightly elevated. But your Triglycerides are very high. Such results should not affect your insurance. This test tells that your diet is not healthy and should be a trigger for changing your diet habits. Especially that your triglycerides do affect every vessel in your body and may result with heart attack and stroke. That is why, you should decrease fatty food and beer drinking (regular beer drinking can cause liver cirrhosis.
It is also advisable for you to have some tests performed as heart disease or liver disease can give no symptoms for a long time. You should have at least abdominal ultrasound and heart ECG performed.
For such high levels of triglycerides you should be prescribed with some statin by your doctor.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.