Test showed CBC with slightly elevated wbc count, slightly low neutrophil count. Should I be worried about cancer?

Question
I live near many close cell towers and began to be concerned about my 8 year old's health. I had him tested for CA 19-9 and Beta-2 Microglobulin Serum, as well as CBC. CA 19-9 came back at 23 (normal range of 0-35) and Beta -2 came back at 1.7 (normal range of .8- 1.7) CBC came back with slightly elevated white blood cell count and a slightly low neutrophil count. Should I be worried about cancer? I would not think an 8 year old should have any levels of CA 19-9 or Beta-2 or at the very least a low count. I'm very worried
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 2 hours later

The upper limit of normal for CA 19-9 in case of adults is usually stated as 35–37 kU/L. The range in children is not well defined, but may be a wider than in 
adults. The same situation is in the case of Beta-2 Microglobulin Serum.

You make a mistake thinking that an 8 year old should not have any levels of CA 19-9 or Beta-2 or at the very least a low count. If this would be the case, your son's levels would not be considered in the normal range anymore. If you have described me all the facts, you should not be worried at all about cancer.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: Test showed CBC with slightly elevated wbc count, slightly low neutrophil count. Should I be worried about cancer? 1 hour later
Thank you for your response.
I also had my levels run. Specifically CA 125 which came back at 61.9 (normal range 0-34) and CA 15-3 (normal range 0-25). I am greatly concerned that I have ovarian cancer based on this. Should I research further?

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 7 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

I think you have forgotten to mention the value of CA 15-3... Can you please do that and then I get back to you as soon as possible with my opinion.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: Test showed CBC with slightly elevated wbc count, slightly low neutrophil count. Should I be worried about cancer? 4 minutes later
Oops thank you! CA 15-3 was at 26.9

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 17 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

CA 15-3 is not significantly elevated, to reach any conclusion.

Most women who do have elevated CA 125 levels do not have cancer, because CA 125 can be elevated in so many non-cancerous conditions. Only about 3% of women with elevated CA 125 levels have ovarian cancer.

CA-125 may also be elevated in other cancers, including endometrial cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer and gastrointestinal cancer, but also in a number of relatively benign conditions, such as endometriosis, several diseases of the ovary, menstruation, pregnancy and in the presence of any inflammatory condition in the abdominal area (both cancerous and benign).

In premenopausal women, the test is less reliable as values are often elevated due to a number of non-cancerous causes. You did not mention if you are premenopausal or postmenopausal woman, but I can suppose you are premenopausal, because you have a 8 years old son.

However, to exclude any danger I would recommend you a pelvic exam plus a pelvic and an abdominal ultrasound.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: Test showed CBC with slightly elevated wbc count, slightly low neutrophil count. Should I be worried about cancer? 11 hours later
Thank you for your answer. So the 61.9 is not considered significantly elevated? I had read that anything over 65 was probably cancerous. That's what worried me

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 27 minutes later
You're welcome.

CA 15-3 is not considered significantly elevated. CA 125 came back at 61.9, which is significantly elevated, but this does not mean that it is probably cancerous. As I have told you previously, in premenopausal women CA 125 is often elevated due to a number of non-cancerous causes.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD