Ask a Urologist   »  

Test results showed eGFR-69, WBC are 13.4 and neutrophils are 11.2. What does this suggest?

I have stage 2 ckd. I had protein and hemoglobin in my urine a couple of months ago. I have had +3 leukocytes for about a year and a half. My eGFR is 69 and my WBC are 13.4 and my neutrophils are 11.2. My doctor doesn't think I have a UTI because I just finished 3 weeks of antibiotics. What's your opinion?
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Its certainly an UTI Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Presence of UTI cannot be ruled out as there is infection going on in the body suggested by raised WBC count. Now the confirmation can be done by checking the urine if there are any WBCs present in it right now. YOu have mentioned that you had leukocytes in urine for about a year and half but the current status is also important. Even though you were on three courses of antibiotic , the UTI can still persists if the organisms causing UTI are not sensitive to the antibiotics. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: Test results showed eGFR-69, WBC are 13.4 and neutrophils are 11.2. What does this suggest? 2 hours later
Hi. I understand what you mean about the antibiotics. I was wondering if you could comment on my CKD ( even the leukocytes for so long)
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 11 hours later
Brief Answer: CKD may not have leukocytes Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow-up query. CKD is a chronic kidney disease and will not have infections as such. The prognosis depends on the cause. If it is severe then dialysis may be needed. (Depending on the creatinine level). It will not have infections as such. But due to reduced immunity there could be a comorbid infection as well. Hope that helps Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD