Test results showed GGT 61. What does this mean?

Hi I am to sit for my drivers license ,but have to have a liver functions test again...I had 1 and it came back as a reading of 61,but it is supposed to come down to 51 to be able to make it pass ... What id like to know is what can I do to get a 51 or less result ....and I have not been drinking at all for over 2 months so why is my GGT at 61 ... This is very important to me ,can u please help me ?
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Which enzyme is raised? Detailed Answer: Hi, Liver function tests include a lot of enzymes. What is the enzyme that you are taking about that is 61? What is the enzyme that has to come down to 51 to pass? Is it SGOT / SGPT ? Of course alcohol influences GGT (Gamma Glutamyl Transferase) enzyme. The normal range can be below 70 IU/L in men. It does not necessarily raise all the time in people who consume alcohol. It will raise in chronic alcoholics over 100 IU/L. Since you are not consuming for over 2 months it is a good sign. You may not see the raise instead settle down soon under 50. I suggest you to quit it as the GGT is not reversible easily. If I am right if you retake the test in sometime this may be below 50 as well. Alcohol first influences SGOT and SGPT first. It may also raise Alkaline phosphatase. So if you want to get these levels down below 50 you should not consume alcohol. The other thing is low fat diet. Let me know if you have further enquiries.