Test results showed GGT 104 and SGPT 45. Having discomfort and heaviness in abdomen. Having loose stools. Cause? Precautions?

Hi my GGT(Glutamyl Transferase) is high @ 101 and SGPT @ 45. I am 43 years old. Billuribin levels are normal. I have a discomfort on the right side of the abdomen and feel heavy when I take meals. The stool is slightly loose. Any particular issue that can be causing. What precautions should I take now. I drink once in 2 month and that too 2 drinks.
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 20 minutes later
Dear patient

Thanks for your health concerns. The elevated GGT and SGPT might be elevated due to biliary or liver disease; since you had jaundice in 1994 and 2005, ruling out chronic hepatitis b and c is very important; the symptoms you experience after meals can be suggestive of a biliary colic caused by gallstones, so your physician might think prudent to order an abdominal ultrasound; in the meantime before evaluatiin avoid alcohol, acetaminophen and fatty foods

Yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Test results showed GGT 104 and SGPT 45. Having discomfort and heaviness in abdomen. Having loose stools. Cause? Precautions? 8 minutes later
I also have a very slight itching sensation across the body for the past week. My digestion has been proper but I feel less energetic. I have IBS and am used to taking Isabgul to regularise bowl movement since the past 20 years.

I have this chronic IBS (Irritable Bowl Syndrome) and have been on ISabgul medication for the past 20 years. Would vaccination for Hep B and C help
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 9 hours later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your follow up. Sometimes, liver and biliary disease is indeed associated with pruritus, or itching. In terms of vaccination, unfortunately there is no vaccination available for Hepatitis C; given the fact that you have had evidence of liver disease in the past (jaundice), my best advise is to be tested for Hepatitis B antidodies to see if: 1) you need vaccination (in case that you dont have antibodies) 2) there is any evidence of chronic infection. At the same time, you can get tested for hepatitis C.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD