Test results show low WBC since ear infection. Normal?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I just saw some of my lab results and I was wondering what causes a low WBC especially since I have an ear infection I thought that my white count would be higher. Is this odd?
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 8 days later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
No, this is not odd. SOmetimes there can be WBC decrease during the infection especially when there is viral infection. Although, you should repeat lab tests 2-3 weeks after the infection is cured, just to rule out some more serious hematological disorders. Also,many women in perimenopause have such findings. But if there is no significant wbc fall(<2.8 K/UL) you dont have to be worried since it wont increase the risk of infection. WIsh you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards