Test results show Tortuous distal esophagus. No discrete obstructing esophageal lesion is seen. Suggestions?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
this is the report from my findings.Tortuous distal esophagus. No discrete obstructing esophageal lesion is seen. This could repreent an element of achalasia or abnormal espohageal spasms. This may be reevaluated on followup or with upper endoscopy to exclude subtle underlying lesion, again which is not well seen in the study. Gastroesophageal reflux is noted as above. Is this a situation that could be cancerous?
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

This is finding that indicate some anatomical and functional disorder os esophagus. It can be primary tortuos esophagus without underlying cause or there can be some underlying cause such as hiatus hernia, GERD, tumor,achalasia,stricture due to inflammation etc. This can cause difficult andpainf swalloving or heartburn.
There is just small possiblity of cancer because cancers are usually well seen during gastroscopy because it is inside the esophagus. But of course,this should be ruled out especially if you are smoker and alcohol drinker.Esophageal cancer is very rare but it usually develops in your age. Also,some other tumors could press esophagus from the outside so CT scan of thorax and abomen should be done if you ask me and repeat gastroscopy within 2 months as this report suggests.
So all in all,the malignacy is the last thing to think of,but reevaluation is necessary to confirm that there is no underlying pathology.
Wish you good health.If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards