Test done for glucose, cholesterol, triglycerides and ldl level. Suggest diet and treatment

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
My Glucose (F)- 104.44 Glucose (PP)-106.80 Total Cholestrol-263.06 HDL-41.92 Triglycerides-224.06 and LDL-176.33
Kindly suggest me the right treatment and diet for lowering the cholestrol and Trigy.
Thanks.
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in Cholesterol

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to Healthcaremaguc forum.
Treatment of Dyslipidemia (deranged lipid profile) is decided by presence / absence of risk factors.
Let me know the associated diseases along with deranged lipid profile.
What is your present age & blood pressure?
Are you a smoker?
Do you have positive family history of early heart disease? (Early heart disease is considered in female <65 years and in male <55 years).
Are you an obese or have a normal physique?
Are you an active or sedentary life?

Smoking, age > 45 years, sedentary life, first degree relative with positive early heart disease 140/90 mm Hg, Diabetes are considered as risk factors.

Your blood sugar both fasting and postprandial are within normal limits.
Fasting Blood sugar > 110 mg% and postprandial blood sugar > 200 mg% are considered as diabetes mellitus.

You have one risk factor (age >45 years in male).
Treatment of Dyslipidemia is decided by LDL level and should read ATP III guidelines.
If < 2 risk factors are present then LDL should be < 160 mg%.
If > 2 risk factors with 10 year risk of developing heart disease is <20% then LDL should be <130 mg%.
If > 2 risk factors with 10 year risk of developing heart disease is >20%, diabetes then LDL should be <100 mg%.
You can download calculator from following site: WWW.WWWW.WW For very high risk patients, LDL should be < 70 mg%.

For raised triglycerides and LDL, you should take statins along with fenofibrates on written prescription from a local doctor.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ cardiologist and should get proper treatment.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Test done for glucose, cholesterol, triglycerides and ldl level. Suggest diet and treatment 2 hours later
Dear Dr.
Giving the details as you asked-
My age -57 years
Blood pressure-110\70
Height -168 cm.
Weight -74.5 kg.
No positive family history of early heart disease.
Active life-doing walk and yoga.
Non-smoker

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 20 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
So you have only one risk factor (age> 45 years).
Your LDL should remain below 160 mg%.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ cardiologist and should get above prescribed treatment.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava