Test done for cholestrol, triglycerides and VLD. Suggest some diet and fitness?

Hi Doc: Am 40 now. I do get my master health check up done once a year. My Total Cholestrol is at 130 & triglycerides at 193, However the VLDL ratio is at 38.
I also got a 320 slice scan done for my heart ,just as I'm aging & there were plaques which were found. I do smoke 4-5 /day & have the occassional drink. Absolutely no excercise or wals etc. Pls do advise me on my Dietery habits & also on fitness. a
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ravindra L Kulkarni 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

It is good that you have undergone preventive health checkup. As per history, what I can understand is you have multiple risk factors, which may increase chances of Heart disease. They include age, smoking, occasional alcohol, increased triglycerides & no exercise. Besides this, lab reports also indicate that there are chances of deposition of cholesterol (fat) in the blood vessels, which supply to heart.

It is good that presently you do not have any complaints but considering all above mentioned risk factors & test reports, here are some suggestions for your better health.

1 Get yourself assessed for BP (Blood Pressure), BMI (Body Mass Index), ECG (Electrocardiogram) and cardiologist clinical check up. Besides this, you also need to undergo Treadmill test (stress test) - which will assess your functional capacity of heart. It is very simple procedure and does not take too much time.

2 Dietitian consultation will help to achieve normal triglycerides. Aim for triglycerides below 150 mg%.

3 If your cardiologist examination and stress test are within normal limit, adopt a regular exercise regime, which will involve at least 45 min of exercise daily. It has to be combination of weight training as well as Cardio exercises. Changing exercise patterns like cycling, swimming, walking, jogging, running will help to maintain interest in exercise. Consistency is must.

4 De addiction is must esp. for smoking.

5 stress free lifestyle, regular exercise, proper diet are the key for preventing progression of heart disease. Keep regular check on your BP too.

I hope I have answered your queries well.
Please feel free to ask any follow up queries if you have.
Wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Test done for cholestrol, triglycerides and VLD. Suggest some diet and fitness? 1 hour later
Thanks a ton Doc- Sincerely appreciate it.

I will abide by what you say & shall revert in due course with the findings as well as my regime.

Answered by Dr. Ravindra L Kulkarni 1 hour later
Happy to hear that from you .