Test done for bun, gfr and creatinine. What does the value signify?

My Bun was 14 and my GFR was 107 but my Creatinine was .57, Low. What does that mean?
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Creatinine is a routine lab test done to know the level of functioning of the kidneys. Most often low serum creatinine is not a cause for major concern. It is most often low when there is decreased muscle mass due to reduced nutrition or ageing. Other causes are myesthenia and muscular dystrophy but in these conditions there will be other major signs so one does not look into serum creat for diagnosis.
In your case since you are a diabetic there tends to be reduced muscle mass which is causing your serum creat to be on the lower side.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer