Test done for HSV1 and herpes 2. What are the findings and cure to be taken?

I just got my test results back from the lab. My HSV1 came back at 5.6 and my Herpes 2 cam back at <.90. Should I be very worries about HSV1? I've never had symptoms and how did I get it? From kissing someone? Is this 5.6 number very bad?
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The HSV1 level at 5.6 indicates a minor infection or an asymptomatic latent infection. The mode of infection in both is by contact. It can be transmitted by kissing the infected individual , by sharing the articles like cigarette, towels, tumbler, touch etc.
You may be a carrier for the virus. The virus goes through various phases-
asymptomatic, symptomatic, latency and recurrence.
You may be in the latency phase, if there are no symptoms as yet.
The virus is contagious but not air borne. It usually transmits via direct contact. If you have any oral ulcers etc, you may consult a dermatologist or Sexually transmitted disease specialist. Medical treatment is available.
However, if you are a carrier of the virus, then any form of contact like sharing food, towels etc, saliva etc can infect another person. So please be aware.
However, breathing in the same vicinity doesn't transmit herpes.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Test done for HSV1 and herpes 2. What are the findings and cure to be taken? 14 minutes later
Would it be wise to get tested again next week? I was tested in February of last year and all was negative. Could this be a false positive or is the 5.6 result high enough to justify that I indeed do have hsv1? Is this something to worry about down the road and will effect any relationship I potentially have? I read it is very very common. Since my last test was negative does this mean I've recently acquired it? Have ha w no signs of it on my lips or face or mouth. I am very worried or should I not be?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
You can get yourself re tested at least 4 weeks after the last test.
Since the prevalence of HSV1 infection is more than 60%, the levels you have are not worrisome. This is not likely to affect the relationship you are already having.
You might have acquired the infection in the last one year. Please do not worry as this is not a serious infection.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Test done for HSV1 and herpes 2. What are the findings and cure to be taken? 7 minutes later
Thank you. So what would an extreme or high number be? The test said I was high. Just curious. So it is advisable to get tested again in a month? Would the number increase then or would it stay the same or possibly go down?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The high number can be more than 7.5. The value changes with the type of the test used.
After a month, the levels can increase or decrease according to the infection severity. You can also go for western blot testing to determine the exact viral load.