Tenderness, headache, stressed. What these symptoms suggest?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have tenderness suddenly in my left temple slight headache earlier not much feels like a cold a little, no injury I have been stressed and clenching my jaw alot do not know what category
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Considering the information you have provided, it seems that you are most likely suffering from a tension headache caused by jaw clenching due to stress.
The tenderness you feel over the temples indicates soreness of the temporalis muscle underneath which is a common finding in tension headaches or other temporomandibular joint disorders.
There are several factors that appear to trigger tension headaches, including:
1.Stress ,which often precipitates grinding of the teeth and/or clenching of jaw muscles and/or tightening neck and shoulder muscles.
3.Bruxism (grinding f the teeth or clenching the jaw often done unconsciously or during sleep)
4..Poor posture
5.Sleep disturbances or shifts in sleep cycles.
Although in many cases, tension headaches resolve spontaneously after a relatively short period of time, there are some ways to treat the headache to reduce the pain and minimize the duration. Headache treatment usually is done with
1.medication like acetaminophen, ibuprofen or caffeine
2. Some of the alternative therapies that include:
Stress management
Muscle relaxation exercises
Oral appliances to prevent jaw clenching
Paying more attention to posture
Massage therapy.
So in your case I would advise you the following,
1.Avoid jaw clenching, you may apply hot fomentation to relieve soreness of temporalis muscle.
2.Avoid stress and prolonged incorrect head and neck posture.
3.If symptoms persist even after a week do consult your doctor for confirmation of diagnosis and oral medications.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.