Tenderness below belly button. Normal?

I'm a 28 y/o male, 5'10 205lbs. Ive been working out 4 days a week lately, today I noticed that just below my bellow button approx 1''x1'' is slightly tender to the touch , their is no bulge, bump or bruise (it does feel like a bruise though). It does not cause me any discomfort unless I push on it. Any ideas on what could be causing it? Possible muscle strain from doing abdominal workouts?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 43 minutes later
The tender area below the belly button that you are feeling is most likely due to a muscle spasm as there is only a pain without any bruise or external swelling visible. The muscle feels stiff and tender only on applying the pressure.
Abdominal muscles can have spasms due to muscle strain during heavy use or overuse, fatigue, dehydration, and alcohol or drug use.
For relief, you must give rest to your abdominal muscles by stopping the workouts, apply a local analgesic gel and a hot bags are preferred. Complete relief sometimes takes couple of weeks.
If there is severe pain or blood in urine or stool or chest pain, vomiting,etc then you need to get it investigated further by having an ultrasound scan and a complete examination to rule out other causes like gall stones, ileitis, bowel obstruction, diverticulitis, etc.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.
Follow-up: Tenderness below belly button. Normal? 29 minutes later
Thank you very much for your prompt and courteous reply:) I had myself worried that maybe I had a hernia or something, I guess my symptoms don't seem to be related. I will take it easy the next few days and see if it goes away. If the pain doesn't progress and it doesn't bruise, swell, harden or form any type of lump than I should be ok to self monitor it for the next week or so and assume it's a muscle spasm?

Thanks again,
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 56 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
You have understood me right. It is not a hernia.
Just do a self monitoring and it will heal on its own in 3-4 weeks.
Wishing you an early recovery.