Tender outer labia, no bumps or discharge, discomfort wiping. Had unprotected sex. Could it be an STD?

Question
My outer labia are tender to the touch at the top sides close to where my clitoris is, I notice the discomfort when wiping myself after using the toilet. It is like a raw feeling, there are no bumps or lumps, nor do I have any discharge or ill feeling. But I did have unprotected sex 2.5 weeks ago stupidly so I am worried if it could be an STD? Like pre-herpes or something? I have never had an STD/STI before. Or could it be related to a bikini wax I had 2 weeks ago, perhaps the hair growing back/stubble is making the area tender? PLEASE HELP as I am really worried now as I have not experienced this before.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 47 minutes later
Hello;
From your history it seems you have got some sort of ulcer or injury to the labia.
For a better understanding please write back with the answer to few questions:-
-Since how long you are getting this tenderness?
-Does it hurts or causes discomfort when you are walking and other activity?
-Did you get this tenderness immediately after your bikini wax?
-What did you use for bikini wax?
Write back with these answers and I shall be able to help you.
As you have had unprotected sex it will be advisable for you to get tested for STD.
Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Tender outer labia, no bumps or discharge, discomfort wiping. Had unprotected sex. Could it be an STD? 48 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I have had the tenderness for about 24 hours now. It doesn't hurt at all when I walk or do any activity. It is the area on the edge of the outer labia as it opens up on either side near the top of the vagina. The wax I used was warm wax and strips but had no tenderness at all afterwards and that was about 2 weeks ago. It is sore when I wipe up against the way the hair would grow but not when I wipe down the way, so that made me wonder if it could be to do with hair growth or not? There is no redness, no ulcers or spots so does it sound like an STD? Like early herpes?
Or could it be from my clothes rubbing against the area?

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 29 minutes later
Hello;
Thanks for writing back with the details.
Since there is no redness,ulcer or spot it is less likely to be a herpes although STD can be ruled out only after getting investigated.
Since there is no other relevant history probably it could be either due to a local fungal infection or a injury due to nail or rubbing of growing hairs.
I would suggest you to locally apply an triple ointment of antifungal with steroid and antibiotic.
If the tenderness or pain increases you can take a over the counter pain killer like Motrin.
In case you do not feel better or the symptoms increase it would be advisable to get examined by a doctor and she will prescribe you the needed treatment.
Hope this is helpful to address all your concerns.
Please accept this answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing you good health care.

Follow-up: Tender outer labia, no bumps or discharge, discomfort wiping. Had unprotected sex. Could it be an STD? 22 minutes later
I do suffer from ingrown hairs so i think that it could be that, there is a slightly raised red area now but I think that is from me manipulating the area to examine the area, near the hair folicles. Would I need to have other symptoms for it to be herpes?
I will try that ointment that you suggest, thank you.

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 24 minutes later
Hello;
Thanks for reverting back.
The slightly raised red area could be a inflammed ingrown hair and the inflammation can be from rubbing the area with clothes.
Herpes normally come out as a crop of small bumps or ulcers and physical examination will help differentiate between the inflammation and herpes.
Presently apply the ointment and see if it helps reduce the tenderness and if not please consult a doctor and get examined and she will do the needful for you.
Hope this answer addresses you concern.
Warm regards