Tender nipple in child and having a slight bruising around them. Could this be a sign of puberty?

My son has two tender nipples that have been bothering him for about a month now he is 12 they have a slight bruising around them could this pupurty??
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Sore nipple in males may be due to injury to the breast tissue like by pinching or accident that may cause soreness of breast, infection of the breast- mastitis, but is rare in males and also associated with swelling and redness, Pain in the underlying muscles or ribs may be mistaken for sore nipples and also abrasion and also rough cloths that he wears.
This is not likely to be related to puberty changes in males.
He can try to eliminate the soreness by wearing light cotton clothes that will not rub against his nipples. Apply a lubricant like baby oil or any moisturizer over the nipples.
In case the symptoms persist, please do consult a physician for a physical examination.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.