Tender lump on the neck. Not painful. What could it be?

May 2013
I have a small pea sized lump on my neck, left side ,close to my chin. At first I thought it may be a boil because it was tender to touch, but now it doesn't hurt atll. It is just there! Doesn't move around,I can see it when I look in the mirror, if i press on it, kinda looks white, I think its under the skin. What could it be?
Posted Mon, 11 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
thanks for the query.

according to your description the possibilities are,

- enlarged lymph node : lymph nodes are part of immune system of our body.
Lymph nodes of the neck enlarge as part of defense against infectious organisms in conditions like tooth abscess, tonsillitis, mouth ulcers, cold, skin infections etc.
they can also enlarge in part of generalized enlargement of lymph nodes of the body as in tuberculosis or some tumors.
or because of usage of medicines like phenytoin or after taking some vaccines like typhoid vaccine.
in acute stages they will be swollen and tender, in few days the pain may disappear but the swelling may persist for some weeks even after clearance of infection.
usually it will come to normal size in 3 to 4 weeks.
If it is not coming to original size even after several weeks or if it is gradually increasing in size you have to consult the doctor.

The other possibilities are,
-Superficial lumps like lipoma, tense sebaceous cyst etc.

-salivary gland swelling

-rare possibilities are carotid aneurysm,carotid body tumor etc.

Now what you can do is wait for two more weeks, by that time it will subside.
if not better consult local general surgeon once and get examined.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.
take care.