Tender, large, warm bump on skull, looks like head injury, stiff neck, headache.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I woke up with a bump - tender to touch, quite large, warm - at the base of my scull on the right side. It is 2 days now. It looks and feels as if i hit my head, but i have not. It is located where the scull end and attaches to the neck vertebrae, but on the scull. Thank you. I had a very stiff neck for a week - could not bend forward, and some headache, but that was 2 weeks ago.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
A tender large bump on the back of your skull can be a hematoma , abscess or folliculitis. A physical examination is necessary for proper diagnosis. Since you had a stiff neck prior to the appearance of this bump, it is more likely to be infective in origin.
I encourage you to visit your physician for its proper examination. Antibiotics may be required to combat the infection.
Meanwhile doing a hot fomentation will help in reducing the pain and soft tissue swelling.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Tender, large, warm bump on skull, looks like head injury, stiff neck, headache. 3 hours later
I rubbed some Amish XXXXXXX Penetrating Pain Relief salve on the spot ( high in Menthol and oil of Camphor), and took aspirin. I feel a bit better - swelling stopped to develop further, heat dimished, head seemed much clearer ( was dizzy before), neck moves better ( lots lots of cracking, but less stiff). Feel upper less down.
I will see for 2 days. If not better, will go to the doctor.
Thank you very much for your time and advise.
Sincerely,
Adriana

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

The topical analgesic you used will help in relieving the neck stiffness and muscular pain. It is not likely to help if an infection is present. You can do hot fomentation also on the area for better relief.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Regards.