Tender knot on the knee after a fall. What to do?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I fell on my knee 2 months ago. There is a knot and one area very tender to touch. Do I need to do anything about it?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 56 minutes later

A fall on knee joint can cause traumatic injury to the joint itself, or bones, ligaments and muscle tendon encircling it.

The fact that there is tenderness even after two months, and that there is an elevated area ( knot ) points out that there is definitely an injury either to bone causing fracture or more likely a soft tissue tear or injury.

I assume that you have no difficulty in walking or other movements. Still persistent tenderness, warrants further investigation and treatment.

I would advise you get an x-ray done and consult your orthopaedic surgeon.

The x-ray will rule out any bony or joint injury and the doctor can examine your knee to confirm the soft tissue injury whether ligament or muscle or bursitis. If needed he may order relevant tests like MRI of knee joint and come to the exact diagnosis and start treatment. The treatment would be most likely medications and physiotherapy, surgery being reserved only for severe cases.

Please do not worry as it doesn't seem worrisome as of now, and may resolve with apropriate treatment. At the same time please do not delay the treatment further as already two months have passed.

Hope I have answered your query.

I'll be available for any follow up queries.