Tender bumps under skin on limbs, shoulders and stomach. Due to virus?

I've noticed these tender bumps under the skin lately, they're like lumps. They feel like a bruise, but there is no discoloration on the skin. They are usually tender or sore for a day or 2 then just go away. I'm living in N. Africa, so I'm not sure if I should go to a Dr and have them checked out. From what I've read, it sounds like random lipomas but they are sore. I've had them on my leg, arm, shoulder, side or stomach...They are very random. I'm wondering if it might be some weird virus?
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 52 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

You might be right . Lipomas can present with swellings in the body. However, they are generally not tender/painful. Another type of lipoma, angiolipoma can present with pain and tenderness.

Other possibilities are viral infection, allergic reactions to insect bites etc.

I would go more in favour of an allergic reaction. Allergic reactions to certain food,drugs,detergents, insect bites etc can also present in a similiar manner. However, allergic bumps are normally itchy. These normally disappear in 24- 48 hours. If this is the case just an over the counter anti- histamines might help.Try to find the allergen that might be causing symptoms and avoid the possible allergen.

However,I would definitely advise you to visit a doctor and get it checked for confirmation of the diagnosis.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan