Tender and larger breasts, tiredness, mood swings after switching contraceptiove. Treatment required?

I have changed to XXXXXXX contraceptive and started taking this before my last period. I have been on holiday for a month with boats of dodgy stomach cases. I have been experiencing certain symptoms such as breasts have become tender and larger, tiredness, and tearful. At present I am experiencing painful abdominal pains yet no period, as this is not due for three more days. I am not sure whether to go to the doctor or not
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Generally, when on hormonal contraceptives, it might take some time for the periods to get regularized. However, the symptoms you present are classical symptoms called the premenstrual syndrome. It is a strong probability that your menses should be coming very very soon. This is assuming that when you left the contraception, there was no notion of unprotected sex. If its the case, it would reasonable to also be thinking of the possibility of a pregnancy.

If not, I suggest you just stay calm for a couple of days as you expect your menses to return to normal. Intense pain might require an anti inflammatory drug or muscle relaxants. If there is a notion of risky or unprotected sex, it would be advisable also to do a pregnancy test.

If not, stay calm. But report to your family physician if the pain actually becomes too intense or if other unusual symptoms set in.

Thanks and hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking further questions for clarification if need be. Will be honored answering. Best regards as I wish you good health.

Luchuo, MD.