Tender and fragile cervix, bleeds during sex, on examination. What are the possibilities ?

My doctor examined me and said my cervix looks tender and fragile. It bleeds during sex and to the touch - when she examined. I have been told to book an appt with a gyno. The doctor said this could be something harmless. What are the possibilities?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

A cervix which is tender and fragile and bleeds to touch might be due to many reasons like-

1. The cervix is inflamed- a chronic inflammation due to chronic white discharge

2. The touch was by chance very hard which caused it to bleed. It can be a healthy cervix also.

3. Cervical dysplasia- irregular growth of cervical epithelium causing it to bleed on touch. This can be ruled out on PAP smear.

4. Cervical carcinoma- An abberrant and abnormal growth of cervical tissue with excessive vascularity making it prone to bleeds.

To rule out all the above, an appointment with a gynaecologist is a must.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.