Ask a Dentist   »  

Teeth scaled and planed. All four quadrants done. Is this unusual?

I had my teeth scaled and planed yesterday. They did all four quadrants[that's what I think their called] I read that only two are usually done on the first visit!! Is this unusual?..[24 hrs, later I have no pain!]
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry this is absolutely normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello there,

Welcome to XXXXXXX

I understand and appreciate your concern. This is absolutely normal. The appointments for scaling depends upon the oral condition of the patient, if the oral condition is good scaling and polishing can be done in a single sitting.

If there is large amount of plague and calculus deposition in the mouth poor oral hygiene, periodontal problems, scaling is done in 2-3 sitting and quadrant wise.

Absence of pain indicates that this is normal, don't worry at all.
Maintain a good oral hygiene, use antiseptic mouthwash rinses, floss, inter-dental brushes, brush your teeth twice daily.
Ideally one should undergo scaling and polishing once in every six months.

If you have any other queries i will be glad to answer!

Wishing you good health!

Good Day!
Dr Qazi Ammara.