Ask a Dentist   »  

Teeth are getting sensitive. How to reduce sensitivity of teeth and selection of toothpaste

Hello sir,
This is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and my teeth are getting guide me how to reduce my sensitivity of teeth.
And also please let me know the selection of tooth brush and tooth paste available in market.
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 26 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to ask you whether you have sensitivity in a single tooth or all teeth?
If its localized to 1 or 2 teeth then it might be a case of irreversible pulpitis that means tooth decay has progressed till pulp & it requires root canal treatment.

In case if it is generalized & you experience sensitivity in all teeth then I would suggest that you use Sensodent-KF toothpaste twice a day & leave it on teeth for 5 minutes before rinsing with water.You can go for any toothbrush with soft bristles because hard bristles damage tooth structure.

If problem still persists then you may go for capping or veneering of teeth.

For getting proper treatment plan you need to go for complete dental check-up by your dentist.

Hope I answered your query.

Wishing you good health,

Take Care
Dr.Neha Sumra
Follow-up: Teeth are getting sensitive. How to reduce sensitivity of teeth and selection of toothpaste 45 hours later
I have sensitivity for only 2 teeth.When i drink cool drinks or when i take ice cream or when i drink hot coffee i feel sensitive of my teeth.In a long run sensitive of teeth can be reduced with proper treatment .or in between it continues.
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 49 minutes later

You need to go for diagnosis of those teeth. Its better to get x-ray done of those teeth because they may be carious or there may be receding gums that might have lead to exposure of nerves.
In such cases you require Root Canal Treatment & they will run for long time.
Consult your dentist for further treatment plan.

Dr.Neha Sumra