Ask a Dentist   »  

Teeth are damaged after an accident. Should I have root canal treatment?

I need to get dental treatment done for my mother (Age 58). Last week at XXXXXXX dental clinic she was advised to get root canal done for one more teeth, have tooth cap for 5-6 teeths and to replace the existing metal plates. Basically doctor suggested complete makeover and i am not sure if dental treatment should get done in steps over 5-6 months or is it good to do everything at the same time.

I am looking for your suggestion for any reliable dental clinic where we can have second opinion.

Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 35 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

As you told about your mother's history that she got accident & her teeth got damaged. I would suggest that she should go for RCT of all those damaged teeth followed by Porcelain Fused Metal capping.

It is better to get those metal plates removed because they look esthetically bad.

Without proper clinical examination, I can't say what all teeth require RCT & capping.

It is better to get an O.P.G (OrthoPantoGram) done & then get proper diagnosis & treatment plan.

I would also like to tell you that this procedure does not require 5-6 months rather it can be completed within a month. No need to worry.
It is better to get it started as soon as possible.

You can consult any good running near-by hospital for second opinion.

I hope this information helps you.

Take Care

Follow-up: Teeth are damaged after an accident. Should I have root canal treatment? 7 hours later
Thanks for your prompt response.
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 37 hours later

You are most welcome.
If you are satisfied with my answer and do not have any questions, please close this discussion and rate the service.